Working on yachts for several years I built up a very strong work ethic and attention to detail. I am an extremely driven individual and take a huge amount of pride in my work, even if it is something that doesn’t appeal to me. I thrive working in a team however can also be trusted to think on my own two feet. I enjoy working outside of my comfort zone and high-pressure situations do not faze me.
The Grid Barcelona April – Sept 2016
- Working for a startup podcast platform I carried out and edited interviews (using Adobe Audition). Towards the end I started moving into a video format and put together various packages for the website (using PremierPro). At first this was a bit of a learning curve with various hiccups along the way but after a short amount of time the standard improved substantially.
The Times (uk) Jan 2016
- Two-week internship on the foreign desk for the daily newspaper. It was fascinating to see how the stories from all over the world come together and are managed throughout the day. I also got the opportunity to go into the daily conferences where each desk would pitch their stories to the editor, John Witherow, and he would choose how to proceed. The internship taught me a lot about collated and producing global stories in such a tight timeframe.
Yachting World Magazine May/June2015
- Research for upcoming features
- Organizing and updating website (Word press)/Facebook/Twitter/Instagram.
- Writing copy from press releases
BSkyB May 2015
- I covered the 2015 UK General Election in Ipswich for the ‘Sky 150’ campaign. This involved setting up a live feed camera to film the count and result. I also had to interview the candidates before and after the result was announced.
Green Marine March/April 2013
- Having completed a seven month composite technology program in Newport, Rhode Island (IYRS), I returned to the UK to work in the components department at Green Marine. A very high level of detail was required and timing was essential. I even made the cockpit vents for all the current Volvo 65s – and the molds for the helms. From Green Marine I returned to yachts as an Engineer on SY Antares III.
Superyachts 2007/ Sept 2014
- I worked on a variety of sailing yachts (30-45m) all over the world, starting as deck-crew and ending up as engineer. As engineer I took responsibility for maintaining all systems aboard including the diesel engine, refrigeration, air-con, hydraulics, tender, including making sure we had sufficient spare parts for long voyages. If you would like to see my ‘Sailing CV’ I would be more than happy to send one over.
City University London BA Journalism 2014/2017 (finish in May)
I have a fairly broad area of interests however I have focused my third year on broadcast journalism. I enjoy both the writing and the design aspects of journalism and am looking forward to building on what I have learnt over the past year. The skills that this course has taught me are invaluable and can be applied in various different sectors.
Leeds University BA Spanish & Portuguese (incomplete) 2006/2007
After finishing my first year I realised that I wasn’t ready to commit to university and decided to leave and pursue a career on sailing yachts.
Oundle School 2000/2006
AS Level; English – C, Politics – B, Drama – B, Spanish – A
A Level; English – A, Drama – B, Spanish – A
Piano (I dabble!)
References available on request.